Sure the world wide web is great, but you, you make us salivate... Yes, we love technology, but not as much as you, you see... But we STILL love technology... Always and forever. Our love is like a flock of doves, flying up to heaven above... always and forever, always and forever... Why do you need us? Why do you love us? Always and forever...

Monday, October 03, 2005

The Wisteria Lane Book Club UK

As we're all unlikely to trawl back through previous posts and responses to find the book chat i shall resume from here. Took a few books on hols, some of which we've spoken about. All 3 were all presents, so thanks to Tash, Rob & Michael.

Da Vinci Code - I can already here you all tutting but this is fantastic. No band-waggon jumping (it's been on the shelf over a year) and i did it properly by reading Angels & Demons first. This really was great and Dan Brown writes chapters of about 2-6 pages long so it's easy to read little chunks. His books are like Harry Potter - you want to hate them cos it seems like everyone is reading them, but they're good. Simple as.

Choke - Not the most pool friendly read and my odd gasp was usually greeted by Tash asking what happened and me relating in hushed tones so as not to make people think i get off on reading about sexual deviants. Was a bit concerned about how the main character's mother's medical condition was gonna be dealt with but i like the way Palahniuk writes, how the speech is written broken with what his thoughts are. Chuck does have a slightly annoying way of using the phrase "for sure" instead of really, but that could be my british snobiness coming through. I've never read fight club but i worked out the twist in the film at the beginning of the scene in which you find out (like, 2 mins before you're told). But in Choke i didn't see it coming and actually exclaimed a religious expletive when it happened - cue dirty looks from people sunbathing.

Yes Man - I'm still in the middle of this one, but it's had a weird effect on me. For some strange reason i really like Wallace and this book is like reading a phone conversation. Probably helps from having watched HTSYOC. Don't think i'm gonna start saying yes to everything, but the whole idea of the book is genius. Will let you know more when i've finished it.

Another good book is Sin City , especially if you like violent comics. If you've seen the film then definitely read the graphic novel, it makes you appreciate what a genius Robert Rodriguez is.

PS. Watch Desperate Housewives, it's ace

10 Comments:

Blogger Jamie "BP" Osborne said...

Well to continue the previous conversation I have just finished reading London Fields and it was rather good. Nice twist at the end. Da Vinci code is well worth a read. Going to purchase Eleanor Rigby soon and Lilly is trying to convince me to read some of her stuff. Although I do have another complete history of the USA to read through so I might give that a whirl. Desperate Housewives is ok but My Name is Earl is way better.

11:12 PM

 
Blogger Keef said...

Not seen My Name Is Earl but if it's some sort of girls serial drama then i'm sure tash will pick up on it.

I've never read any Amis (neither martin or kingsley) - should i?

When you say some of Lilly's stuff is that books she owns or stuff she has written? An author wife would be v. cool

9:06 AM

 
Blogger Rufous said...

EVERYONE!! Read Gideon Defoe's "The Pirates! In an adventure with Scientists"

It's about 4 quid, and will take about 90mins.

(And there's a second one just come out about their adventure with Whaling if you like the first one.)

I'm just reading Catch22 since someone sent me a copy. Ver' good at the moment. Like an extended and slightly more surreal version of MASH. I swear our MD is Coporal Cathcart.

12:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is My Name is Earl the new jason lee show? Looks great, but i didn't realise it had already started on US tv. It must be due over here soon in that case....

In case anyone hasn't already read it, I can recommend Curious Incident of Dog in the Night-time. Best book I'd read in ages. Also Blockbuster by Tom Shone is great reading for anyone who loves huge 80s films such as BTTF, ET etc.

12:58 PM

 
Blogger Rob said...

I really want to see My Name is Earl now, but it's on ABC I think, so judging by how long it took C4 to pick up Lost, it'll be at least a year before we get it. Grrr.

I recommend Jan Potecki's The Manuscript Found is Saragossa to anyone with several months of their life to commit. It's a story-within-a-story-within-a-story X infinity, and obviously influenced by Kabbalistic mysticism, although importantly written 200 years pre-Madonna. And it proves that Guy Ritchie is responsible for however bad Revolver is, not Kabbalah itself. Although it also proves that Kabbalah is dubious and laughable, so it succeeds all round.

Oh, and Kevin Spacey is amazing in Richard II. Everyone go see now.

3:58 PM

 
Blogger Rob said...

And Keef, Martin Amis-wise, you should read Dead Babies first, to dip your toe in. Then try London Fields and Money if you like it.

I can lend you one/all of these at the weekend if you like.

If you like Self, there are similarities, although Amis is definitely someone people either really like or totally loathe, in my experience.

Kingsley Amis-wise, read Lucky Jim. And then his letters to Philip Larkin.

4:09 PM

 
Blogger Jamie "BP" Osborne said...

My Name is Earl is the Jason Lee show and it also has Wilem from Mall Rats as Earl's brother. It's ace. Alas Lilly is no author she just wants me to read some book about this family that moves to Africa and it has something to do with Bumble Bees. Who knows it sounds tosh but every body loves (loved) Tosh from the Bill so it might be worth a go.

4:58 PM

 
Blogger Keef said...

I think i have a copy of Lucky Jim on the shelf (probably from a charity shop) so i'll get to it when i'm done with Wallace.

2:53 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just remembered the best book I've read this year - The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Klay by Michael Chabon. It takes a few chapters to get into but after a while you'll be gripped. Read it before they make the film.

And if you want "stories-within-a-story", exploration of the identity issues involved in storytelling etc, try New York Trilogy by Paul Auster. It's a headfuck but very enjoyable even if you give up on trying to understand the deeper points (kinda like watching Donnie Darko).

I can lend either of these out to anyone who's interested - doing so might actualy make sense of the fact that I keep all my books despite NEVER re-reading them.

5:48 PM

 
Blogger Rob said...

Unlike me - I keep all of your books, despite having read them ages ago when you first lent them to me!

10:40 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home