Sure the world wide web is great, but you, you make us salivate... Yes, we love technology, but not as much as you, you see... But we STILL love technology... Always and forever. Our love is like a flock of doves, flying up to heaven above... always and forever, always and forever... Why do you need us? Why do you love us? Always and forever...

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The Piper At The Gates Of D'oh!

Sorry, that was the best of a bad bunch of potential titles.

Anyone else confused by the mass-media hysteria over the death (sorry, the "passing") of Syd?

I love Pink Floyd (hey, I've made harder admissions in my life), and I recognise the importance of Syd Barrett to both the band and British music ever since as huge. But I am perplexed at the level of media interest - front page of the Metro, no less, and prominent mentions in every other major outlet. It's the sort of fervour I thought would be reserved for McCartney, or Keef (the guitarist, not the erstwhile Medwayite) or even Townshend. This man, constant inspiration to the upper eschelons of British musical output though he still is, is surely a blank in most people's mental biographical dictionaries? Or am I being partronising? Certainly the only people in my office who knew who he was were the eldest and, perversely, the youngest members of staff (apart from me, obviously, but I don't count because I understand every reference to everything, ever, naturally).

Still, he wrote one great album and inspired at least one other (including a couple of Floyd mk. II's best songs (c.f. Rufous' blog)), so in no man's terms was his a life without merit. Without him Blur, Supergrass, Ultrasound and any number of other indie admirables would have lacked a certain, definable inspirational enrichment.

I hope he spent the last 30 years enjoying himself, whatever he was up to.

3 Comments:

Blogger Keef said...

It's been mentioned briefly here on Oz news but no real fuss. I guess most people here forget he was in the Floyd as their most famous work was after he left. He's probably more famous for being nuts. Maybe i'll get into his stuff when we get back - altough i do have See Emily Play on 7" and apparently the original UK psychadelic band Nirvana liked him, and i like them.

6:51 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was surprised too - I don't really like Pink Floyd (of any era - in fact if i'm brutal i think they're one of the most over-rated bands ever) so I wasn't sure whether fans saw him as a pivotal part of the band's history or just an interesting footnote before they became massive (or just the 'male Pattie Boyd' described in Ruf's blog).

But either way, the coverage has been amazing - one of those stories where the pieces seem to announce that someone has died, then spend a few paragraphs explaining exactly who that person was and why you should have heard of him. Will be interesting to see whether Waters or Gilmour get the same, or if the whole 'reclusive genius' angle is worth more than longevity and record sales.

2:40 PM

 
Blogger Rob said...

I prefer the early - mid 70s stuff, but I think Piper... and the pre-Piper... singles are good, and suggest a totally different future for the band had Syd not gone the way Syd went, which could potentially have developed into something amazing. But it didn't, of course.

When the time comes, I guess Waters will be lauded for Dark Side.. and The Wall, but I think they'll still have to explain who he is a little. Gilmour must be the best known Floyd member, but what they choose to focus on will be interesting - the solo on Time, probably, or the fact he made a record with Stephen Hawking.

6:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home