Sure the world wide web is great, but you, you make us salivate... Yes, we love technology, but not as much as you, you see... But we STILL love technology... Always and forever. Our love is like a flock of doves, flying up to heaven above... always and forever, always and forever... Why do you need us? Why do you love us? Always and forever...

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Harmonics

So...

(as Seamus Heaney might start, were he to blog...)

I'm not a fan of My Chemical Romance. But I would like to salute their enumerate vitues thus:

1: Brian May style melodic soloing. No-one else does that these days. It has a place, which is why people buy their records, I guess...

2: Eddie Van Halen style speed-picking hammer-on technique - mainstream pop hasn't had a decent dose of this since the solo to Beat It, and I'm proud of you for going for it.

3: Random mid-song time signature variation - the Mars Volta are better at it, but you guys have at least half a tune, so you can take it to the mainstream. Don't let us down now...

I want to hate these people and I suspect I am far from their projected demographic. Someone throw me a lifeline here....

Feel free to stone me any time.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd always written MCR off as whinging yanks but I absolutely love that single - just the right mix of bombast and pure rock. Mind you I also like the P!ATD album so I'm not exactly averse to a bit of emo.

12:33 PM

 
Blogger Keef said...

OK, i've only found out last weekend that, in our absence, MCR have made number 1. I only heard the song about 2 days ago and it is good - not a classic no 1, but still a great tune. IMHO "I'm Not OK" was better, but the dumbass british public needed a re-release to even register their existence.

I'd tried to avoid P!ATD as they kept being mentioned in the same breath as Fall Out Boy, who i can't stand, but they flippin' love P!ATD in NZ so i am humbled to say i may have pre judged these boys too harshly - P!ATD are ace.

PS - doesn't the singer in MCR remind you of Steve? (if he went a bit goth)

7:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home